3/29/13

Buying Black Dirt : There's a First Time for Everything


What do Iowan's do when they move to Alabama?  They buy black dirt to plant a garden, of course!
Okay - so confession time:  I come from a family of pretty awesome women - excellent cooks, clean houses, and awesome gardens. (One side are all country girl 4H Alumni, the other side are super determined!)  I'm working on all of the above, but I must admit... I have a serious Black Thumb, I swear.  However, I Love the idea of a garden - and Brian's family owns a green house (for crying out loud, and no pressure there either right? haha!)  So, we decided we needed to get a handle on this "Growing Your Own Food" thing.  Not wanting to rip up our very sandy very rented front yard, and questioning soil quality (not even grass will grow in the majority...hmmm..) We decided a raised bed was the way to go.  ( And what a nice addition to our well-sun-lit porch, right?)  Bought a little kit and some seeds at Walmart (dun dun dun... I know. But really, sometimes you just can't beat the prices.) grew some little guys, and found a template for a small 4'x4' raised bed.  Purchased some untreated lumber (after my husband Hee'd and Haw'd over prices for literally 20 minutes. I Swear he enjoys it.)  Found a great deal (anyone surprised?) on some good old Black Dirt,  and put it all together! 





Of course, the next 3 days were cold and windy, so those poor beans don't look quite as perky now... but I Vow that Something will Grow and be eaten from this garden!! We planted Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Broccoli, and Carrots.  Also - Sunflowers & some wild flowers in separate containers.  We'll See how it goes!! We had fun, and I am absolutely sure we will learn quite a bit from this little project.

No comments:

Post a Comment