I wrote an article for the MWR magazine's May competition last week - what is the best part of being a military spouse? The prize was a Spa Day Package! Sadly, I didn't win - but I was still satisfied with my "essay". It was nice to sit and re-focus my mind on the positives of our reality. I have always respected Military wives, but more so now than ever. Take a read at what I came up with:
There’s a line in the song Sweet Home Alabama – “You don’t gotta be from down here to get along just fine. Being Southern is a state of mind.” That defines being a military spouse. There really isn’t a special “type” it takes; in fact the genre of men and women who fill this role are just as diverse as the country their spouses work hard to serve and protect. Although we all come from different backgrounds, Military Life ties us all together. I love being an Army Wife, and below are my top reasons why:
There’s a line in the song Sweet Home Alabama – “You don’t gotta be from down here to get along just fine. Being Southern is a state of mind.” That defines being a military spouse. There really isn’t a special “type” it takes; in fact the genre of men and women who fill this role are just as diverse as the country their spouses work hard to serve and protect. Although we all come from different backgrounds, Military Life ties us all together. I love being an Army Wife, and below are my top reasons why:
- · How well received my soldier and I are in the communities we live in. The face of the Veteran has changed; no longer does it only include elderly men – but young ones, with still growing families. Families serve too, and the support and encouragement from communities makes the lifestyle we chose taste just a little sweeter when hard times arise.
- · The opportunity to see new places. There is something to be said about roots, but we also love the wings the army gives us; the ability to explore and travel to all corners of our beautiful country and world.
- · Gaining a new Military Family. We’ve found that the friends we have made along the way are the ones who best know how to encourage us. I have met many new friends through PWOC and the FRG. Thanks to our military life, we are making life-long connections and learning how diverse the world truly is.
- · Our marriage has unique opportunities. As an Army Wife looking at future deployments, I am learning to be self-reliant when necessary. I will have the chance to support my husband in ways that not all women will face. Army marriages have opportunities for a deep strength and bond because of our distinctive hurdles.
- · The pride that comes with being associated with the United States Military and being married to a man who is willing to put himself in harm’s way and potentially lay down his life for a country he believes in.
- · Being a military spouse brings me closer to God. Through all the ups and downs, I am continually learning to trust in him and his grand plan for our lives.
This is GREAT, Ashley!!
ReplyDelete