11/4/13

Walking in Simplicity Women's Retreat - Session One

This weekend I went on a retreat with my dear Army Wife friend Alexia, and some of the lovely ladies from my PWOC (Protestant Women of the Chapel) Bible Study group.  The retreat was in De Funiak Springs Florida, at an old plantation style home in the back woods.  (I Love saying Back Woods if you haven't noticed yet.  Back Woods reminds me of "old school" values, a simpler way of life, and unification of family.  I hope we always stay "Back Woods") Victoria Robinson was the speaker, and she presented so much inspiration and thought provoking ideas that I hardly know where to start - but it was lovely enough, and such a topic that is near and dear to women's hearts in this crazy fast paced day & age, that I wanted to share some of it.  I'm big on quotes and words of wisdom - so naturally I scribbled down plenty of these.  I'll share some of them, and my own thoughts/convictions - that might be a great way to lay this out right?

Session One:
We live in a fast paced culture and multi-tasking has become a life style.  Healthy boundaries are slim, and our internal code of saying "No" when it's appropriate is failing.  We see all these needs around us that we want to meet, but we are only capable of so much.  All too often our husbands and families get the "Left Overs" of us.  I am so very much a people pleaser.  I have a heart that is service driven, and I really feel like nurturing and cultivating deep relationships are two of my biggest spiritual gifts.  Family is the most important aspect of life for me, so she really got me with the When you are always saying Yes to the world (trying to people please everyone) - Your family is hurting and missing out on the best parts of you.
Another thought about this same topic that was mentioned in my Bible Study last week was this: We feel like God needs us - like if we don't do it all, then it won't get done.  But God doesn't need you, rather He wants to bless you and grow you with opportunities. You were never intended to do it all. Sometimes we need to say "No" so that someone else has the opportunity to say Yes.
"So often the Good will keep you from the Best.  If the devil can't make you Bad, he will make you Busy."

For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes:first to the Jew, then to the Gentile. For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last,just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith." Romans 1:16-17

We are called to have prepared hearts for God.
I am such a planner.  One of my biggest hurdles in my faith walk is letting go of control.  It was said that we make plans, and then pray our plans to God and ask Him to bless them.  This is All Wrong.  We need to be praying diligently  and making responsible choices based on the holy spirit's convictions and guidance in our hearts - bringing our needs and desires to a God who loves us, yes. But then we should be open to the knowledge that He sees the whole picture, and trust that He will bring about His will, in His time, to grow our hearts and bring about the best possible outcome.  Basically - rather than be caught up in what we think we want, we need to be available to God's plan and guidance - because it's a promise that although the path may not be easy (like we would've chosen) - it will lead us to the true happiness and contentment that we will never find in our own agenda.  
"We simplify, not just to be less busy, even though we may be right to pursue that.  Rather, we simplify to remove distractions from our pursuit of Christ.  We prune activities from our lives, not only to get organized but also that our devotion to Christ and service for His kingdom will be more fruitful.  We simplify, not merely to save time but to eliminate the hindrances to the time we devote to knowing Christ.  All the reasons we simplify should eventually lead us to Christ."  Donald S. Whitney
To end the first session, we took a look at a well known story of the Bible, that led us to the home of Martha, and her sister Mary.  
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”Luke 10:38-42

I've read this story before, but diving into it a little deeper during this particular study helped illustrate some profound truths.  Other times when I skimmed it (because of who I am - a planner, and nurturer, a Martha) in the back of my mind I always felt for Martha - 13+ visitors to your home, all needing fed, washed, somewhere to sleep, taken care of - to a nurturing soul that's wonderful, but also - HOW STRESSFUL?  And then her little sister doesn't even help her, but rather joins in on the enjoyment of Jesus while she is left to do all the necessary preparations?  I can see where frustration would set in. In the heat of the moment, Martha gets a little sassy with Jesus (Can you imagine? This in itself makes me raise my eye brows, and laugh at the same time.) His response to her reveals the root of the problem that is in the hearts of many of us (including myself) today: It's not about the preparations, but about your heart condition.  It's not about what we do, but why we do it.  Martha had lost touch with her spiritual gift of service, and allowed jealousy and stress to harden her heart - making her miss out on the blessing that was Serving the Lord Jesus, and preparing a place for Him.  I can't tell you how many times (daily it seems) I get side tracked by irritation and I miss the blessing.
One of my Least (if not The Least) favorite "chores" is cleaning up dirty dishes.  As in - I'd rather scrub a toilet than wash dishes.  It's easy for me to become overwhelmed by dishes, as I tend to let them stack up because of this built in aggression I seem to have for them (Laugh Out Loud, but not really.)  So I am constantly having this inner battle - because if you stop to think about it, the Kitchen is the heart of the Home, and serving food is one of the best opportunities to love on and be a picture of Christ to my family.  But Dang - THOSE DISHES!  The other day I was surfing Pinterest and found this little gem that hit me like a ton of bricks: 
I will never look at dirty dishes the same... I want to frame this by the sink
(This beaut is getting printed and put up in my kitchen. Would a 16"x20" be a little over the top?!)

This was another quote that summed it up and hit me hard from this part of the session:  The Devil doesn't want to take you out of the kitchen, he wants you to lose your purpose in the Kitchen. 

What happened to Martha?  Well - we see her again later, at a similar situation in John 12:1-2.  "Martha Served."   No sass this time, just a gracious heart - content in Christ and prepared to use her spiritual gifts to honor Him.  







No comments:

Post a Comment